Thursday, May 28, 2009

Old Glory Day

I thought I would post a few pictures from the great tradition at Lakewood Elementary--Old Glory day.  Parents are invited to attend a celebration in honor of our great country.   The 2nd graders sing patriotic songs,  the older grades recite the preamble of the constitution, an honored guest from nearby Fort Hood speaks, and then the kids parade around the school waving their flags.    

Oh yes,  and how could I forget, the crowd and kids then sing "Texas my Texas" and recite the Texas pledge.  My friend, who is a Texan, didn't know the words to "Texas my Texas" so I was teasing her that at least I had an excuse!  Then she asked if I knew the words to "Utah, my Utah".  I said,  "I don't think Utah has a song", do we?  I know the words to "Come come ye Saints?"  does that count?  Or what about the University of Utah fight song,"  I  am a Utah man sir, and I will be till I die.  A Utah man, a Utah man a Utah man am I!"

This year, the twins were in second grade and singing... therefore the entire reason I attended this year.  In years previous I had no desire to stand out in 90 degree heat with my other little ones, so I only went to the picnic afterwards.   Now I've had a change of heart.  What better thing than to honor our country and those who serve.  I often worry that the upcoming generations have no sense of patriotism, and aren't taught to honor those who serve and have served our country.  

Hats off to Texas public education! 

 
Don't you just love the joyful expression on their faces!
=)



Isabella with the Cavalry and my friends husband (Jason Gunn) a black hawk pilot.

7 comments:

Briana said...

What a neat celebration! I think I'm starting to be able to tell the twins apart, too! But I'm not confident enough to make a guess here on your blog for everyone to see! P.S. I'm sorry I titled my "dog's graduation post" the same as Isaac's! Didn't realize that until now. :-) We'll miss you tonight.

Natalie said...

What kind of a Utahn are you? The state song is, "Utah, We Love Thee." I have no clue on the Oregon state song. Maybe something about beavers, berries or allergies. Or hippies.

Ashley said...

"Land of the mountains west, Utah, we love thee. . ."

Lynn Lambert said...

How fun to see pictures of Old Glory Day. That was one of our favorite days at Lakewood. Ahhh...the memories.

Parks' Place said...

How adorable! I love your family picture by the way...and the one of Jason holding Izzy!

West Family said...

How can you consider yourself a Utahan with that pitiful Utah man song. Utah's goes more like this "Rise and Shout the Cougars are out..."

Love the patriotism, I am pleasantly surprised that my kids school puts on quite a flag day event that sounds similar to yours. However, we don't sing to Texas, as much as Texans would like to think that we all do:)

Anonymous said...

Love the picturesand think what a great celebration and a great way to help kids understand how important our country is. Isaac looks so cute in his cap and gown. We love you have a nice day. Love, Julie