Friday, October 23, 2009

When it rains... and other stuff.

It's been raining, a lot. I'm not complaining because, we really needed it. But, because it doesn't rain very often, the heavy rains of the last few weeks have revealed an issue with our roof...

First the ceiling looked like this:
Shane climbed up on the roof and calked around the chimney to fix the problem, then patched the damage on the ceiling... a few weeks later when the rains started again it bubbled up, and exploded. Now it looks like this ...Time to bring in the professionals?



On the bright side, I found this note sitting on the stairs ... the boys are always good for a laugh.

Maybe "like" and "wedgey" need to be on his next spelling test?


I'm a terrible Halloween Mom ... and have very little enthusiasm for the holiday. In an attempt to be on par with my kids excitement and trying to make some memories, we did a few crafts.

Here is Isaac with his "Funkin" (must be pronounced with care). Why, oh why, couldn't I have invented these!? They are awesome, all of the carving fun with non of the goo.

In another insane attempt to be enthusiastic about the holiday, for the first time,the boys and I dipped some carmel apples and rolled them in Oreos. Oh my, that was messy!!



Lets face it, they're hideous (we need A LOT of practice)... but they were delicious.

To capture more of the holiday magic we spent saturday at a pumpkin farm (it's more like a Christmas tree farm, with some pumpkins) with my friend Allison and her little girl Madison --

Here they are... Isabella, Allison and Madison... love this picture


The activities included...
Jumping, rolling and wrestling in the hay:

King of the Hay!

Here's Shane, the biggest kid of all, wrestling with the boys in the hay, and only rolled over a few unsuspecting toddlers.


Isabella and Madison LOVED the hay



Taking a choo choo train ride pulled by a riding lawnmower. The funniest part about this was was watching Shane count all the heads and marveling over how much these farmers were raking in. Now he's determined to get our riding lawn mower hook up some jerry-rigged riding cars and solicit the neighbor kids for a choo choo train ride $2.00 a pop... You could just see the wheels in his head turning...


Isaac and Isabella were all smiles while riding on some very depressed-looking ponies:



And for $2.00 we had the opportunity of being shoved through a gate into a seriously over- crowded and tiny cage, to feed a bunch of ravenous attack- goats... and step in all of the excrement. EEEWW.. Hand sanitizer here we come!

Jackson was so freaked out by the aggressive goats that he only lasted about a minute before he handed me the food.


At least I got a cute picture of Isabella...


Here's Allison , just trying to keep the goats away from little Madison who got knocked over a few times. Even Allison who is a veterinarian, wasn't overly thrilled by the whole goat thing.


A great day with good friends.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Halloween celebrations look like they have been fun at your house. I love the pictures of the kids(shane included) in the hay...so adorable. Love those kids, can't wait for Thanksgiving to see ya'll.

Shannon said...

That wedgey note is hilarious! I also never thought about the 'funkin' pronunciation problem, especially with kids. Haha! Your house must've sounded interesting. The caramel apples look delicious.

Nicole said...

Fun Halloween activities at your house!! I put up decorations and stop there...leave the crafts to my mom. :)
LOVE the note!! Too funny!
Good luck with the ceiling...bummer!
XOXO

Janene said...

Bummer! We have some wet, bubbly walls too... Love the rain, hate being a homeowner!

That note was hilarious! Is that how you threaten your kids to get things done too? ;)

Molly Koch said...

i think i giggled through this whole post. you are too funny. my kids keep begging for pumpkin carving... but troy has pnemonia which i think might have stemmed from swine flu... and is worthless around here. I am soooo not carving two pumkins on my own. think the kids will notice if they get carved after halloween?

Heather said...

Oh how i can sympathize with you. . .early snowfall, two people who have forgotten yard winterizing, broken pipe, flooded basement, oh what a mess! I am so bummed. Be assured you are not the only mother who is less than enthusiastic about the Halloween events. Also, I am missing your boys.