Friday, January 8, 2010

Santa Claw

I have a confession... my 2 year old is still hooked on the pacifier. My new year's resolution is to get rid of the thing, but the truth is, it really helps me get through the day. Without it, there will be little or no napping, a lot more screaming and plenty of public melt-downs. The thought of getting rid of it entirely sends chills down my spine. But, it needs to be done, once and for all.

Shane came up with a brilliant plan, based upon what his parents did to get rid of one of his siblings attachment blankets.

The solution: We told Isabella that Santa needed her "passy" for the reindeer.... and that's what we told her every time she asked for it.

The problem: now every time she can't find something she blames Santa. "Santa Claw took my Tinkerbell!!!"" etc. etc. At dinner last night she couldn't find her fork, " Santa Claw took my fork!" She cried, "Oh no! Santa Claw coming to town!" We all laughed hysterically except for Mason who was concerned about the twisted mess we had caused "You've turned Santa into a thief!"

I think slandering Santa automatically qualifies Shane and I for the naughty list... either that or we'll probably be hearing from his lawyer.

I hope she forgets about the whole thing by next Christmas... I can just envision her later on in life explaining to the psychotherapist why she HATES Christmas and men with white beards.

On another note... a bigger, better Pikachu arrived in the mail this week. The customs label from HONG KONG explained a lot about the 17 dollar shipping and the delay in arriving. So... I told Isaac that I wasn't sure if Santa's elfs made Pikachu so I ordered him one just in case. He's thrilled that he now has a daddy and baby Pikachu...

6 comments:

Natalie said...

That is the funniest story!! It's better to blame Santa and make HIM the bad guy. At least he's a once-a-year kind of guy. The parents are there 365. It's important to keep our image.

sully said...

I can't wait for the day she finds out there is NO SANTA!!!!! You, my friend, better use it now while you can because when the time comes... I hope I'm still around to hear about it! LOL!!!!

Briana said...

You guys are brilliant! We stick to the "cut them up and explain that they are all broken" method. I'm dreading the day, too. I can SO sympathize with you and "making the day easier!"

Ashley said...

I cut up the kids binkys one at a time so it wasn't all at once. I also left it where they would find it and when they tried it they would come to me telling me it was broken and they would throw it away themselves. I love the blaming Santa idea! It's hilarious!

Andrea said...

Still laughing from reading that! I love the "Santa claw is coming to town".
Kelly told me that I was Chloe's drug supplier and that I was feeding her need. I admit, I was...I needed just as much as she did.
Finally one morning she woke me up crying for her pacifier and I was upstairs and did not want to go downstairs. I tried to distract her with cartoons, but it didn't work. So after her persistent whining, I could not take it anymore. I went downstairs, saw some scissors and cut off the nipple.
When I took it up to her and handed it to her, she looked at it puzzled. I told her it had broke and she repeated, "broke?". After that every time she asked for it we told her it was broke. It worked because after a week she gave up.

Heather said...

That is quite hilarious! I just can't figure out how to get rid of Davis' fingers and yet, like you, I almost dread trying because I know it will just become one big fight. And the public melt-downs, truly does make me shiver; it's bad enough as it.