One of the coolest things about Texas is there are a lot of really cool farms run by really down- to-earth, unassuming, good people. So I had the fun opportunity to go on a field trip with Isaac to Heritage Farms which is over 500 acres and run by 45 families who are all part of a Christian community. They build homes together, harvest corn, potatoes, and wheat together. It was like stepping back in time and being a part of life similar to our pioneer ancestors... only they had cell phones and mini-vans, and thankfully... flushing toilets. Sometimes I think we could use a life more like this, where kids learn to work, and work hard, and at the same time, play hard. No nintendo or TV's on this farm :) Doesn't that sound refreshing?
One of the things kids learn early working on a farm is all about the birds and the bees. On the hay ride, one of the kids asked the tour guide ... "Where do baby horses come from?" When he tried to skirt the issue saying that they bred lots of horses on the farm. She said, "yeah, but really, how do they get out of their mom's bodies?" "Uhhhhh....."
First we saw a sheep herding demonstration. By a very cute, very obedient Border Collie.
They even got to hold a baby chick... Oh man I thought this little chick was going to be squished to death. Can't imagine what it must have been thinking being passed around to a bunch of sticky- handed kindergarteners who are a little TOO adoring when it comes to little, soft, feathery things. Thankfully the chick narrowly escaped death... only to be passed around another day.
It was so fun to spend the day with Isaac, just the two of us.

1 comment:
I love the last question and the persistence of it!! Kids are so funny!!
As for a life with no TV and no Nintendo, I dunno! I kinda like having that as means to say,"Do you want to watch a movie!". So then I could have a little alone time, because we all know that doesn't last long! I am sure the in about 20 years I will be wishing I didn't have any alone time! Oh who am I kidding...I will hopefully be going on many vacation and drinking lots of non-alcoholic beverages relaxing in the sun on a beach far far away!! lol!
P.S. I do love my kids(in case it sounded like I don't!)
Post a Comment