Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Fatigue Factor


I hesitate to post this because I know each and every one of us fellow bloggers have crazy hectic lives. But I do believe that Shane's life has taken the meaning of chronic fatigue to a new level.

The above picture demonstrates the illness that strikes every resident at some point, for Shane it is totally chronic. This picture was taken a few days ago, the boys were trying to show Dad their Pokemon cards (That's a whole other blog post...what's up with Pokemon cards?) anyway, you can see the level of interest in Shane's face. I personally love the foot up on the couch... So I try to wake him up to interest him in a more comfortable piece of furniture, say a bed... he mumbles that I should just let him sleep. 30 minutes pass and he still maintains the same position. Then the pager goes off. Immediately he is awake and asking me why I let him sleep so long. Go figure. He gets up and goes to bed and I ask him if he returned the page. "Oh did my pager go off?" he says.

Although Dad's sleepiness is an inconvenience when you are trying to show off your prized Pokemon cards...Jackson and Mason have now figured out that you can do fun things to people when they are asleep. Like in church today, Jackson decided it would be funny to tie his Dad's shoe laces together because Shane was of course, asleep. (Note: this is not typical Sunday behavior, but the rascals have been into playing practical jokes lately) Surprising to me, I didn't even notice him doing it until Mason pointed it out to me. I told him to untie them immediately which he would have done if they weren't in a hopeless knot! Needless to say sleepy Shane woke up to an unpleasant surprise and had to untie them himself. A few weeks before that...I caught Mason poking his sleeping father in the nose with a pencil. Even Isaac gets in on the action and loves to yell, "wake up Dad" as he body slams his lifeless father. Poor Guy!


Not only does he work hard when he's awake...I have also heard him ordering a multitude of tests, and performing surgery when he's asleep at night.

Only 3 more years to go...Will we survive?
















10 comments:

Amanda Bishop said...

too funny...what is the deal with pokemon cards? Why are they so expense and what is the point?????

MollyE said...

Love the foot. We haven't gotten into Pokemon yet. Maybe I should steer clear.

Nicole said...

Too Funny! Tell the boys their dad was always into practical jokes in his younger days as well.
I hope Shane's not driving while sleeping...he's done that before! :)
Great post!!

stacy said...

Ha! This is all painfully familiar. Our Samantha also likes to body slam her dad when he's passed out on the living room floor after he's made a desperate attempt to listen to everyone talking to him and showing him things all at once. What a strange life we lead right now...3 more years.

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

This is a all to familiar site at our house. It is the residency curse that is put on all of our husbands. The minute they hit anything comfy... they are out cold. I love the pictures of your cute Izzy. We hope all is well with you guys! Take Care... love to see your updates on the blog.

Cianne said...

First off, Izzy is definitely a Lewis. I see Isaac all over her little face.
Second-I just had a great laugh at this post. It is so similar to Jordan. He passes out anywhere his head falls. The floor, the couch, the shower. You name it. My favorite part, though, is Isaac waking him up. Caleb does the same thing. "Hi, Daddy" and then a full run to a jump body slam.
Thanks for the laugh! We miss you guys. Are you going to UT at all this summer? We are going in Aug. Hopefully our paths will cross.

Anonymous said...

So funny!!!!! He needs us to come down there and raz him up a bit.

TIM

West Family said...

I am laughing so hard I am crying. I have to keep Kris moving or he is out. Joshua has awakened Kris by poking him with a steak knife. Kris was supposed to be baby-sitting him. The worst part is that it wasn't the first time Joshua had tried this wake up technique on Kris:) You would think that Kris would try a little harder to stay awake while baby-sitting the kid! Take care!

Cianne said...

I want a copy of that picture for myself! Glad to see Shane is alive. Jordan

Floyd Family said...

Such a great picture! I'm glad to see my husband isn't the only crazy resident. I love it when Mike trys to examine and diagnos patients in his sleep. (I had no idea I had a subdural hemorage!) I wonder if it will end with residency or if we'll always have men who fall asleep anytime they stay in one place for longer than ten seconds...