Friday, January 30, 2009

25 Things( that you probably don't care to know, but I had fun writing)

1.  I love kids, sweet kids, snotty kids, bratty kids, stinky kids, all kids... they are a light in a sometimes dark world.

2.  Love being a mother and believe it is where I can do the most good.

3.  My childhood ambition was to be an astronaut, until the Challenger exploded when I was  in 4th grade... little did I know the closest I could get to God was by holding a new born baby, and holding a child who was soon returning to Him.  Both of which I have been so blessed to experience.

4.  I love history... history books, biographies and historical novels are the only books worth reading.  No romance novels for me, not even Twilight, I tried.  Sorry girls!

5.  I have struggled with social anxiety and chronic anxiety for much of my life... thankfully I have overcome it... mostly.

6.  My biggest fears are being trapped, in a crowd or elsewhere, flying, and losing someone I love.  I also have a fear of failure, which has caused me to regret not trying things I should have.

7.  I played soccer in high school although my enthusiasm was unequally proportionate to my talent (or lack of)  I still love to play from time to time.  But now enjoy being the cheerleader for my boys.

8.  I have only traveled out of the USA one time...to the Philippines -- where I lived in a decrepit open-air hospital for two weeks.  It gave me a true appreciation for the country I love, and a deeper sense of compassion for people living in abject poverty.

9.  I am a terrible speller... thank goodness for spell check.

10.  Common sense is not my strong suit and forgetfulness is one of my biggest vices...  I lose everything.  Chances are, if I've lost my keys they can usually be found in the refrigerator or on the back of the toilet.  I have also locked myself out of the car many times, once with a baby inside!

11.  I am also hopelessly clumsy. Nuff said.

12.  I traveled the country with my clogging team as a teenager and still love to break out clogging when no one is looking, or sometimes just to embarrass my kids.

13.  When I was younger my dad had the clunkiest cars... the banana boat car was especially painfully embarrassing to me.  My dad would bring me to school and honk the horn really loud so that everyone would see me getting out of the junker.  I would duck and scream in horror.  I now understand why my Dad got such a thrill out of that. 

I seriously can't wait to buy my own junker so I can do the same thing... then my kids will be thrilled to inherit it when they turn 16 ;  )

14.  I love reading the stories of my ancestors and am deeply thankful and proud of my Mormon pioneer heritage.  I'm also thankful for my awesome parents who have spent their lives in public service, one as a teacher and one as a firefighter, and have taught me the value of kindness and helpfulness to others.  xoxo

15.  I love to run... a good long run is so cleansing.

16.  I met my husband at a camp for children and teenagers who have cancer.  We were both counselors there, apparently when I won the "chubby bunny" contest he knew I was the one.

17.  My favorite color is yellow.

18.  I took 6 years of Spanish in junior high and high school and now can't speak a word of it.  I wish I could go back and take that opportunity more seriously.  Now I will need to invest in Rosetta Stone.

19.  I am addicted to sugar!  Chocolate and ice cream being my worst vices.   I also love a good avocado sandwich.

20.  I enjoy cleaning ... I know I am ill.

21.  Have lived in 3 states, Utah, Virginia and Texas ya'll!

22.  Things I despise:  whining, people who give out dirty looks when they see you have more than one child, people playing games or texting on their cell phones at church or while driving... (not mentioning any names here) and ingratitude (refer to #8).

23.  My greatest accomplishment was giving birth at 39 weeks to two babies... one that weighed 7 lbs 5 oz., the other who weighed 8 lbs.   I'm also thankful for the doctors who sacrifice so much of their family time,  to help poor souls like me!  

24.  I once rode a trash can  that was propped up on ice blocks down a very steep hill... with disastrous consequences... refer to #10.   

25.  I am a child of God and am thankful for that knowledge!

4 comments:

Briana said...

That was fun to read. I learned a few neat things about you! Chubby bunny, huh? That'll hook 'em every time!

Heather said...

You are an amazing person! I am grateful for your example of gratitude and service! Thanks for sharing I learned a lot about you.

Ashley said...

I learned a lot of things about you today!!! Is it bad that I think that riding a trash can down a hill on ice blocks sounds like fun?

Nicole said...

You are so great Dixie! Such a good example for all of us! Love ya!