Thursday, February 12, 2009

Someday is Now

I wrote this little poem for my Young Women's class after I couldn't find the one that I was looking for. Our lesson was about finding joy in our lives now. I was inspired by President Monson's talk in General Confrence about finding joy in the journey, and am thankful I have come to the following realization.

NOW

Back then, I was studying hard in high school
Making friends and desperate to be cool

“Someday I’ll be happy” said my youthful heart
When I’ll make my own choices,
When I make my own start.
When I won’t have to fight against all these temptations
and have to live up to such high expectations.

Then the day came- I walked out the front door.
In a lonely college dorm room I longed for more.

“Someday I’ll be happy” my mind spoke me.
When I’ll get a good job and can buy a T.V.
When ramen noodles are a thing of the past.
When my prince charming will sweep me up fast.

Well, prince charming came, so did the degree.
But working 8 to 5 seemed boring to me.

“Someday I’ll be happy” the logic seemed clear
When I can have babies and hold them near
When I don’t have to work to put food on the table
When my husband’s job is a little more stable.

Well, the babies came, and came some more.
And I ran around looking after every little chore.

“Someday I’ll be happy, how familiar this sounds”
When I can go to the gym and lose a few pounds
When I’ll have less laundry and far fewer dishes
When my kids will be older and obey my wishes

As the kids got older and moved away
I felt their loss every day

“One day I was happy” I reminisced
When the house was so noisy,many little ones to kiss.
When I had diapers to change and challenges to meet
When I heard the patter of little feet

“Oh I wish I could have a little more time”
To tuck them in bed, and read nursery rhymes
To push them on swings
And cheer on their teams
To hear their giggles, squeals and screams.


Those days passed unnoticed,
I’m not sure how.
I wish I had known

That someday is NOW!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOVE it! You are talented. So true, thanks for the reminder...I really needed that today. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOVE it! You are talented. So true, thanks for the reminder...I really needed that today. :)

Brian & Chelsey said...

Wow Dixie! You are really a great poet!! That was awesome!

Ashley said...

That is a great poem! You are very talented.

MollyE said...

Wonderful poem, so inspiring. Thanks for sharing! I'm sure the young women love you, I know I do!

West Family said...

Such sweet words! I have always thought you were one to enjoy the moment of time you are in. You are always an inspiration!

Janene said...

Dixie, what a great poem! I love it. It's so true how we can get caught up in wishing our life away. :) What a talent you have!

Heather said...

You are an amazing writer. You are also a good example of enjoying the now. So very true.