Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Blogging Dilema

A friend of mine blogged about blogging recently and it really got me thinking about my motives...

Sometimes I get really bored of my blog. I started it because we have lived away from our families for 8 years and have made friends along the way that have all moved on. I thought it was an easy way to keep in touch with them. Since then, it has evolved into something else... For me, blogging is cheaper than therapy. It helps me to see the bright side of a dark situation, and it keeps me company while Shane is in the trenches. Writing changes my perspective and brings to life, the adventure it is to be raising kids, while trying to strike a balance. More importantly, blogging gives me an opportunity to laugh at myself. To me, blogging is discovering how I really feel about things, despite what I might tell people in person.

For example, It seems like every time a friend or family member calls, the typical conversation goes like this:

"So what's going on?"

"Oh, same old, same old... you know, mom stuff "

But I realize now that lame answer is soooo far off, for all of us. Every day brings something new, some new challenge or hurdle, whether it's just us trying to decide how to best spend our time, working toward a goal, breaking up a fight, fixing something that's broken, wether its a plumbing problem or a kid... or just trudging through the changing emotions of the day.

I also love reading blogs of my friends, some who I haven't seen for over a decade. I feel a genuine connection with them, realizing that we are all more alike than different, and... they just make me smile.

Recently, I realized how narcissistic our society is becoming with the advent of reality T.V. shows and that tragically, certain families that have been falling apart because of it. How quickly something that starts out innocently, as a way to document your life can become a three ring circus...

So I want to clarify what my blog is not... It's not an attempt to gain attention or make money. I don't want to expose my kids to criticism or to the public. They are precious to me, so recently I've been a little nervous about the whole family blog, and wonder if I should take it private. The only reason I haven't done it so far is because it seems like a huge pain! I'm not under the delusion that a bunch of random people are following my blog, but the thought scares me.

So what's your opinion... should I take the blog private?

9 comments:

sissyann said...

Because my views on the world have changed with my job I have always had my blog private. That way I feel free to write what I want, show pictures when I feel like it and I know that only those I care about are reading it.
So yes, I do think you should take the blog private, but not before adding me! LOL Which reminds me.... are you able to read my blog I dont know if I ever added you. If you want to send me your email to tawnyanicholes@utah.gov and I will do that.

Natalie said...

You know, you just hit the nail on the head. For me, too, blogging has been therapy. Not "air your dirty laundry" therapy, but a chance to reflect, share, and watch it all fall into perspective. And, the fact that I have a couple of readers makes me a bit more motivated to write. It's been a good thing.

It's also been so fun to catch up with a few people from my amazing past (like you) and realize how very similar we all are. It's awesome to see other strong ladies trying their darndest to have a good family and teach the kiddos some gospel.

About the private issue (that sounds kind of wierd), can't help you much there. I totally see the benefits and drawbacks. Neal wants me to go private because he's afraid of some crazy client catching wind of the blog. But I say, "Meh. I'll just keep it like it is." Good luck with your decision!

Shannon said...

Hmmm don't know what to tell you about that. I sometimes think about going back & 'burning' my archives or taking my blog down & starting one that doesn't use our real names or something (but I, too, have been too lazy for that). I like being able to communicate and connect with people through blogs and I don't really have much of an urge to go private myself (I guess because the statistical risk of something truly bad happening from it seems pretty small to me and I like my blog being read rather than blocking people out of it), but I do think about starting over more anonymously to make it harder to google, even though I've tried to keep my last name off my blog all along, at least in text (although it'd take about 2 seconds for anyone tech savvy enough to figure out my 'true identity'). Plus now that I link to my photoblog with it, it also gives away my name. Anyway, I'm totally rambling! Point being, I'm still trying to decide how I want to run things too, especially after the baby's born. Good luck!

Ashley said...

I like having a private blog because I have control of who sees it and I can write specifics and not worry about giving out too much info.

Meg said...

I have decided not to make my blog private. Any information that someone would need about my family is out there in many different forms. I do have Site Meter on my blog, and I monitor that. I don't know if it does any good.. but at least I can see if some random ip address is spending way too much time on my blog. So far, I haven't been bothered by what I've seen. I for one, think it's a really positive way to see that other people have the same struggles that I do. It makes me feel like I am doing a good job.

Anonymous said...

I think if you are worried about it go private. But sometimes I'll be going through blogs and run across someone who I knew and it is private, I would love to see where they are in life...but it is a hassle to ask them for an invitation, wait, and then always enter your password...I don't know. We aren't private...but I'm ok with that.

Keddington Chronicles said...

I say leave it open unless there's a very specific safety issue. I, for one am thankful that your blog was open when I ran across it. I love reading your blog, and I'm sure other past friends do as well. You have a very cute family as well! :) -Angela-

Heather said...

Now I am missing you. You are so insightful. It is a blessing to realize we all struggle with life, motherhood, marriage and yet to take a second look and realize those same struggles bring our greatest happiness. Keep truckin'. I am all for Private. . I am too scared about so many weirdos out there.

Karolee said...

I'm with Angela as I just found your blog today and wouldn't have if it was private! ;-) Blogging is my therapy as well and I've also discovered that I love to write...who knew? I used to worry about the privacy thing as well, but I notice all the visits are mostly people I know.