We had a nice Easter weekend... it was a little busy because my parents came out to see us and when we have company we go, go, go!
My parents got here on Wednesday night and on Thursday we took the kids to see "How to train your Dragon" The kids loved it...to me, it was just okay. I think I need to take a breather from kid movies because the more I see, the less I enjoy them. Or maybe it's just the smell of the theatre that I don't enjoy, not sure.
A few weeks earlier though, we took the kids to see "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" I read the books with the kids so it was kinda fun to see it play out on the big screen... but as always, the book is far better. Shane and I laughed our heads off in parts when everyone else in the theatre was dead silent. I guess we're still working on developing a mature sense of humor... or maybe we just relate well with geeks... either way, I think we embarrassed the kids.
Anyway, the next day we visited the Texas Rangers museum... on account of the fact that the children's museum was closed. It was actually really fun for the boys who were really into the guns and the dressing up. Literally the whole place was Cowboy heaven... the boys loved it. If you want to enjoy some authentic Texas history, this is the place for you.
Cute little outlaws...
Saturday it was off to the Alamo. We took a trip down there a few years earlier and it was mighty underwhelming, especially for kids. I was expecting to see some huge fortress... in reality, on the outside, and inside it doesn't look like much. But, the story of the Alamo is so moving, and central to Texas history, and the history enthusiast in me, loves stuff like that.
Here's a picture from our last trip that really captures the excitement of the children at the Alamo.
The night before we went to the Alamo, Jackson wrote in his journal, "Tomorrow we are going to the Alamo. Grandma and Grandpa thinks it's going to be fun. " Then he drew a picture of us all at the Alamo... the adults have smiles and the kids have frowns on their faces. That cracked me up. Poor kids would rather spend all day at home playing video games or running around at Chuck-E Cheese (gag). Lucky for the kids we hit the Alamo on the right day and there were tons of kid-friendly activities that the boys loved, involving guns, branding irons and such.
Isaac looks a little too comfortable with this wooden gun...
Below: The newest recruits of Santa Ana's Army...
We also went on a boat ride along the famous San Antonio River Walk, which is basically a river that runs through a bunch of commercial properties, restaurants, hotels, malls. etc. It was really beautiful and really enjoyable for all.
Me and my beautiful Mom... man, I look tired.
Mom and Dad on the river...
Jackson and Mason, such good boys. :)
4 comments:
That looks like a fun trip. Vacations with kids are exhausting. I always feel like I need a vacation to recover from vaction.
Looks fun! I'll bet it's nice to be in a place where you haven't grown up and already seen everything more than once? The boys will look back later and be glad that they were able to visit there I'm sure. :)
Hope you are all well. Keep in touch.
What fun. We too thought the Alamo was just ok...I was so excited to go, and a little let down. I am glad they had some fun things going on when you went. LOVE all of them in the cowboy attire.
(ps- i thought the movie was funny too )
For a second I thought you were going to talk smack about the Alamo and then I was going to have to get all up in your face . . . Whew! Okay, I feel better. ;-)
Post a Comment