Isaac is the king of one-liners. I was scolding him one day about his inability to focus on a task or chore that I give him. Very simple things like, "put on your shoes", or "brush your teeth" seem to instantly escape his brain, once he sees something more interesting to do.
He looked at me with very sad eyes and said, "It's just hard! For some reason I always forget, before I remember."
My heart was instantly softened, "I know exactly how you feel, Isaac."
I felt horrible. Not a good time of year to be in need of a major home repair. After getting the kids into bed, I crawled into my own bed and cried. My boys took pity on me and came up with a plan...Even though it was supposed to be a secret Isaac came down the stairs and told me what the plan was. They were going to sell all of their toys including their DS's to help pay for a new garage door. What awesome, caring boys I have. I am so blessed.
I'm afraid Isaac and I share an affinity for being easily, very easily distract ..... oh did I tell you the real reason the chicken crossed the road?
Oh wait, back to the story. Well my distracted nature has cost my parents a lot of headaches and a good deal of money over the years. There is a long list of infractions; locking my keys in my car more times than I can count, sometimes while running and once with a small child in it (I was just filling up my gas tank, relax people) losing my keys, dropping my cell phones into water and on pavement, leaving my blazing hot curling irons plugged in all day, forgetting to turn my oven and stove off, forgetting to look behind me when I pull out of the drive way and hitting a parked car on four different occasions ... you get the picture. I think that's why my dad was smiling the day he gave that responsibility over to another man.
So we were on our way home from the twins Christmas choir performance. Anyway, Shane came straight from work so we were driving home with the boys in our two separate cars. Shane and I are competitive with each other, always, so of course, we were racing.
Shane was right on my bumper trying to find a way around me ... I swear he would've crashed into me if it would have helped him win, as we pulled into the driveway. I didn't pull my car all the way into the garage because I was trying to let Mason out so he could run to the door and win, because winning is the most important thing. Well, in the end WE won, at least according to my version of the story.
I turned off the car and went into the house. A little while later I heard Shane saying my name in an aggravated tone. When I walked out to the garage I cringed... Christmas spirit instantly gone. It's hard to see from the picture, but my garage door resembled an accordion.
Well, I'm happy to say the garage door has been replaced ... now the only ding is in my checking account. On the bright side I now have the distinction of being one of the only women who can say that her Christmas present was a garage door.
6 comments:
Don't feel bad Dixie, the first 5 years we lived here I set something on fire every fourth of July! One year it was my husband's hair! nobody lets me have matches, lighters, sparklers, ect. Now I'm "only allowed to watch"! lol
& let me just say- WOOO HOOO for team MOM! I am glad you won the race!
Oh man, that REALLY sucks! I can feel for you, I have twice locked my keys in the car (both times while I was pregnant). One time with the car running and once, last week, with the keys still in the ignition(car off)...it happens. ;0)
I just read your blog I just love it you make me laugh. I love the garage and racing all the kid tells and of cource the Isaac stories. We love you all and are so proud of all you do. Love, Julie (MOM)
Your boys are so sweet!
Garage doors are cool gifts, you know.
So, I don't quite get what happened. The door came down on the car? Or the car rolled into the door? Either way, it's really funny! And worth the win.
Dixie, you always keep me laughing! One year I asked Santa for a garage door opener, and he totally delivered. You are not alone :)
Post a Comment