I ran the Schlotzky's Jingle Bun Run again this year... only this time it was a half marathon. My hubby and kids were SUPER excited when I told them I signed them up for the 1K... haha :) It's a fun race for the kids because they race against the Big Man, Santa Clause.
I wasn't able to watch them do their race... and Shane didn't take any pictures :( but Isaac informed me that he kicked Santa's butt.
The holidays are a difficult time to run a half marathon and it was really hard to get the training runs in, so I felt very unsure about my chances of doing very well. The weather was great starting out and amazingly, after not enough preparation I felt pretty
good.
At mile 6 I was so excited when I saw these little cuties and it gave me a second wind.

Then came mile 10 ... it had been calm all morning until then, and we ran mile 10 and 11 into some serious headwinds... I just kept my head down and hoped I could put one foot in front of the other. At mile 12 I experienced shooting pain in both of my calves... I've never experienced muscle cramps like that, and it wasn't good... but ran through it. Jackson helped me through the last hundred meters. I was elated when I came in at 1:54... and took 3rd place in the old lady division ages 30-34.
Sadly my friend had a barf-a-thon around mile 7... I wasn't with her at that time but felt really bad for her!! So miserable to run when your stomach isn't happy with you. :( What a tough chick... despite it all she finished 2nd in her division 35-40 women! She is awesome.
This picture really isn't suitable for publication... but our medals are pretty cool so I put it in anyway.

2 comments:
Good job on the run! I need to start running again. After I chow through the holidays and feel so much guilt that it's exercise or depression. . .
how fun that they made a half marathon!!!! you're awesome. I signed up for another triathlon and thought of you--my athletic running buddy. maybe one day I'll try a marathon. Would you do it with me?
Post a Comment