This morning I feel profoundly grateful for the many sacrifices made by so many on our behalf.
Several years ago when living in Arlington, VA. Shane and I went to the Arlington Cemetery. At that time 2,000 brave soldiers had died in Iraq and there was an exhibit of paintings which depicted each one of the fallen 2000 individually. It was very touching to see each of their faces and heart wrenching to read the notes that their children and loved ones had placed next to their paintings. It was an experience that I will always treasure because it made me realize that each soldier has a face, a story, a family-- and that the loss for their families was deeply painful. It also reminded me that we all owe each of our past and present military men, women and families a huge debt of gratitude. So THANK YOU, to all who may be reading this who have served or will serve. Thank you for your profound sacrifices of which none of us will ever fully comprehend.
I also wanted to take a moment and remember the military service of my grandfathers. Both served in WWII. They have both passed on, but I hope they know of my gratitude just the same. They are, no doubt, deserving recipients of the title "The Greatest Generation".
Grandpa Ellison
I never met my grandpa Ellison, he died of a heart attack at the age of 40. But I have thought of him often and have wondered how he and my grandmother made it through the profound trials they faced in their lives.
My grandfather served as a scout on the ground in France. As a member of the 95th infantry division he earned a bronze star which was presented to him by general Patton, for his bravery in clearing a row of 25 buildings. In the battle for Metz France he saw some of the most brutal fighting in the entire war. As the story has been told, during some of the heaviest fighting he was running in the street and fell, in front of him he saw a cross among the debris. He picked it up and felt an immediate calm come over him. He carried it with him throughout the rest of the war. My mother still has the cross he found. He suffered the effects of "Shell Shock" for the rest of his life.
Grandpa Gomm
I don't know much about my Grandpa Gomm's story in the war. I do know that he was on a ship in the Pacific for the duration and that his experiences and trials lead him to have a profound sense of patriotism. These experiences also helped him gain his own appreciation for his ancestry and the sacrifices they made. He was an avid geneologist and submitted over 6,000 names for Temple work and published many biographies on their behalf.
Thank you! Happy Veterans Day.
4 comments:
So well said Dixie! Amen!
Thanks for this great post. A very nice reminder.
Dixie,
Thank you for that post, I became teary eyed reading the story of your Grandpa Ellison. I think I felt some sort of a connection when you said he was a scout, and his story touched my heart. I appreciate all the sacrifices of those past and present that have or are currently serving in our military. Thank you again for this wonderful, thoughtful post!
Agreed!! I have been so grateful to be in the ARMY because of the families and faces that I can now connect to MY freedoms, My life, and OUR country. I hope I will never lose those feelings of deep gratitude for the sacrifices bourne.
Post a Comment