Friday, August 20, 2010

Summer Recap part 1-- The Race

Our vacation to Utah this year was wonderful... no airline mishaps as in years previous. No suitcase/ child pileup on the escalator, no barfing kids sitting on my lap, no 4 hour wait on the tarmac, like last year. This year, we lucked out and sat in a row surrounded by rows and rows of deaf people. No I'm not kidding, they must have been coming back from a convention. I couldn't believe my luck... Bella could whine and fuss to her hearts content and I didn't have to worry about what anyone was thinking of my inept parenting ... perfect.

The next morning we woke up at 4:00 a.m. and went to run the Deseret News 10K with Shane's family. Mason and Jackson ran it with us... I use the word "ran" very loosely here... maybe "finished" would be a better word for it. Mason woke up bleary eyed and said, "I wish I never let you talk me into this... but I don't have 30 dollars to pay you back " I could tell we were going to have a great race.

Having "run" a 5K with the boys before I knew I didn't have the patience to drag them across the finish line. So I handed that job off to Shane who was happy to do it since he had only done one training run in the past 2 years. I knew Shane was in for a long race. Apparently, not even a mile into the race, he was dragging them both by the hands. Adding to his misery, Jackson had to take a "number 2" rest stop around mile 3... poor kid had been holding it since before the race.

Grandpa Lewis came in first place, as always. At 61 years old he has never been beaten by any of us young whipper snappers. Before you start judging all of us losers, you should know he finished in 42 minutes... that's a 7 minute mile. I came in next at 49 minutes... not even close this year. Then we waited, and waited... I was getting really nervous until I saw Mason running in at 1 hour and 15 minutes. He was by himself and looked exhausted and miserable and determined. It made me very proud to be his mom. I jumped in and finished the race with him, along with my little 3 year old nephew, Lewis.

Finally at 1 hour and 30 minutes I saw Shane and Jackson, poor kid was not a happy camper but he was determined to finish, and I was so proud of him for sticking it out and not giving up. I got choked up as he crossed the finish line. It was hard, and long, and hot... and he proved he could do it at 9 years old. Here he is finishing with his cousin, Eric.

More to come...







3 comments:

Heather said...

Crack me up! That sounds so like Brandt--the #2 issue--anywhere we go that kid ends up having to find a bathroom in a hurry or race to find a hidden bush somewhere. You look amazing too and 49 minutes?! You're my hero.

Natalie said...

Ok, you seriously sat by a bunch of deaf people on the plane? That is hilarious!! And very lucky too, I might add.

Good job at 49 minutes! That's a warm race. I ran that one a million years ago. It's fun to finish with all of the parade crowd. Makes you feel like they're cheering for you.

Andrea said...

Kudos to you Dixie, I need to get some stamina like you and run a race. I really do what to, I just need to find the motivation!

You should be a very proud mother, because you are a great mother!